Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Favorite Majolica Treasure 010416

Judith has shared some lovely flattop still lifes
which I really liked. So I thought I would give it try.
I was also inspired by some other still lifes
shared by Teresa of Eden Hills recently as well.
 

This is a favorite treasure of mine
It was probably a bridal shower gift in 1947 which my mother always referred to as a 'mayonaise jar'. It wasn't used though and occupied a spot in a knick knack shadow box in our home.
A more refined title might be a covered majolica pottery jar to be used for salad dressing.
 
 It is a piece of 'occupied Japan' pottery
My research found that majolica often has a lead glaze
so it's probably a good thing it wasn't used.
 
Joining Judith for:

10 comments:

  1. What a charming little jar - too bad it can't be used. Perhaps a clear plastic cup inserted - if you could find the right size - would make it usable. But it is charming as a decoration too. Love the still lifes you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it is a pretty piece of pottery. Love the still life images. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Gayle! Lovely photos! Your majolica jar is really beautiful. I would definitely keep it only as a decoration... or perhaps use it for wrapped chocolates or something like that. :)
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful little treasure! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous treasure...with such history! Happy New Year!


    Donna@GardensEyeView
    and LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent still life captures Gayle, I never thought about some of these older treasures having lead paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great that you still have it...I hope someone else will inherit it that will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely still lifes. Old pieces with family stories are the best of all! (My kids have ours now ... I see them when I visit! )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.