Saturday, February 20, 2016

Critter Tolerance

When the starlings show up at the feeding station, my usual response is 'oh great'. They come in large flocks, send everybody else flying and proceed to gobble up every seed in sight.
 
Well since they are 'sparrows' that God watches over just like all the rest I realized it was time to become tolerant of them and take time to observe them.

 
 First I discovered they have their own beauty
  Very pretty breast feathers

Bold contrasting beaks
and a cuteness when all puffed up against the cold. 

They were willing to share perching space. 
 and a spot at the feeder
  And everyone else was willing to stick around
 
and feast on left overs.
  

 
So o.k.; a salute to the Starlings 
 
Edit to add: In looking at them again I have given them a nickname - The Polka Dots
(sounds like a singing group from the 50's)
 
Lots more critters at:
 
and Wild Birds at:
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Starlings are over looked by a lot of people but they are certainly a beautiful bird. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots....starlings are beautiful and clever......thanks for sharing this.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely series of photos. We don't see as many starlings as we once did.
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They definitely are a pretty bird, but are the main reason I cannot have feeders. They descend and eat everything in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really looked at Starlings before - they are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything in life isn't pretty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I agree they are beautiful...I just hate how they clean out the feeders so quickly. I don't even mind if they come a day or two. But this year they just stay here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel about the Starlings, but I think you've adopted a good attitude toward them. I'm trying to do the same with the squirrels, but so far I'm not too successful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good captures, I am glad they left some for the others

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Gayle! I agree the birds are beautiful. The starlings can be piggies though. Pretty collection of birds and images. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your birdies Gayle, including the Starlings. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They have been at my feeders as well. Tolerance indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.