Monday, April 4, 2016

Eager Beaver 040516

From the size of this hut
somebody's been a 'busy beaver'.


Habitat


The habitat of the beaver is the riparian zone, inclusive of stream bed. The actions of beavers for hundreds of thousands of years  in the Northern Hemisphere have kept these watery systems healthy and in good repair, although a human observing all the downed trees might think that the beavers were doing just the opposite.
The beaver works as a keystone species in an ecosystem by creating wetlands that are used by many other species. Next to humans, no other extant animal appears to do more to shape its landscape. Beavers potentially even impact climate change.
Beavers fell trees for several reasons. They fell large mature trees, usually in strategic locations, to form the basis of a dam, but European beavers tend to use small diameter (<10 beavers="" cm="" especially="" fell="" food.="" for="" nbsp="" p="" purpose.="" second-growth="" small="" this="" trees="" young="">
Broadleaved trees re-grow as a coppice, providing easy-to-reach stems and leaves for food in subsequent years. Ponds created by beavers can also kill some tree species by drowning, but this creates standing dead wood, which is very important for a wide range of animals and plants. 


Joining:

11 comments:

  1. Wow- that's a big one! I'll admit, I am unschooled about the good that beavers do- I will have to go read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beavers never fail to amaze me. They are great engineers. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. often around here they are just too busy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing beavers, or signs of them. Read a book called Three Against the Wilderness, about a couple that re-introduced beavers to an area...was supposed to be true. It is one of those books that I read every few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing what these fellows can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How serendipitous! Denise from Todays flowers (Fri) has a post about the same subject: the beavers! Just a gentle reminder to link up to SEASONS this week, with one of your beautiful images, before Wed. evening 7pm, Pacific time. It's much appreciated and have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so informative and interesting. I love the Beavers. We have a group in our channel, though, I have to tell you, you don't want to approach their little huts because they can be very agressive in protecting them. I recently spotted another little dam on a small stream that I pass frequently. It has caused a back up that will be suitable wetlands as long as people leave it alone ... I haven't seen the critters though. Not sure if they abandoned it or if I am just not there at the right times. Great post, Gayle ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool shape of the "bulding". We have beavers around here but I never see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that is a huge beaver lodge. They really do work hard! That was good information you included too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.