Monday, June 27, 2016

Treasured Memories of One Room Schools - 28 June 2016

On a Sunday drive through the countryside where my ancestors lived, we passed this former one room schoolhouse.
A member of our family research FB group told me it was the Thompson School and probably closed after the 1962-63 school year.

I'm curious about the second foundation. The stonework matches that of the school.

Since I too attended a one room school (not this one), my memories of treasured days come flooding back. Am I showing my age or what? 

Joining Tuesday Treasures w/Tom








7 comments:

  1. My first eight years of school were spent in a one room school.Interesting memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have many one room schools in the area that have preserved. Thanks Gayle for sharing this week and I hope that you return again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just reminded me that I have to go back and check out the one room school museum in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my way to the grocery store we pass a one room red school house = I love the idea, but I don't know how it is to be taught in one room with all different grades.!
    Also a small reminder for SEASONS to link up - you have always something interesting to show - hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. On the ranch there was a one room schoolhouse that just fell down last year. It was allowed to return to nature. There are several well preserved one around here. Thanks for reminding me.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great history in these one room schoolhouses. My mother in law taught in a one room school house in Kansas. My Tuesday treasure is here...
    https://happywonderer.com/2016/06/27/y-is-for-yellowstone/

    ReplyDelete
  7. One Room Schools are fascinating. I can't imagine going to a school like that. My graduating class alone had 574 students.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.