In 1926, the Perry monument was built to commemorate Oliver Hazard Perry on his victory over the British
in the battle on Lake Erie.
The monument is a 101 feet (30.8 m) obelisk
located at Crystal point on Presque Isle.
Perry used the peninsula’s Presque Isle Bay as a place to build six of nine of the ships in his fleet. This location protected the men by creating an obstacle for potential attackers who would have to travel around the peninsula to reach them.
A replica of Commander Perry's battle flag.
The small bay near the tip of the peninsula was named Misery Bay, Many hardships took place there after the battle,
in the winters of 1812–1814.