Saturday, July 11, 2020

Awestruck . . .

by the beauty of God's creations.


Dragonflies are a sure sign of 
summer atMuldoon

Quite the acrobat
Living on every continent but Antarctica, these insects are instantly recognizable by their large bodies; four long, horizontal wings; and the way they hover and zip around. Dragonflies can reach speeds of up to 35 miles an hour and fly just as gracefully backward by lifting off vertically, helicopter style. Their compound eyes are so large they nearly touch, and each one has about 28,000 single eyes, or ommatidia.
Together with the closely related damselflies, they form the group Odonta
 ---National Geographic


11 comments:

  1. Hello,

    The dragonflies are beautiful, great photos! Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos of the dragonflies are fabulous. I've always been fascinated by those wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, Gayle! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for the visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe 10 years ago my friend Diane and I went on a photo hunt and a local park we came to a hill of grass and there must have been at least five thousand dragonflies they were so thick that you couldn't see through them and we were absolutely amazed we stood and they flu and they circled around us and I don't even think we got very many photos because they were moving so fast and there were so many of them. It was the most amazing sight I can remember in a long time

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! Sometimes it's hard to get the camera to focus on them but you did great. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fascinating creatures . You got great shots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures. I enjoy watching the dragonflies at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE dragonflies, and you sure got some good pictures of this beauty! They are amazing, and they love to eat mosquito larvae here on our pond, so they are very welcome guests!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, and interesting information, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dragonflies. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I look forward to discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.