Monday, April 20, 2015

A Moraine Mosaic Monday

Some may have viewed my previous post  at
where I mentioned a stone mason of long ago.
 
A moraine is any glacially formed accumulation of unconsolidated glacial debris ( soil and rock) that occurs in currently glaciated and formerly glaciated regions ...
 
We are located in the area of a 'moraine' created at the end of the ice age. The sand stone for these homes were quarried on and near the farm of the stone mason.
 
 
Here are beautiful examples of this craftsman's work.
They are the homes of three of his children
built around the late 1930s.
 Could the pattern of the stone be called mosaic?
 
This crafted stone sidewalk and carved stone mailbox post have remained in place at the stone mason's homestead
for many, many years.
 
P.S. As a child, I walked past this home on my way to our one room school house.
(yes, I'm that old : ) 
 
Joining




7 comments:

  1. The stones and home are lovely.. Beautiful stone work, love the mosaic.. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, my. GORGEOUS stone homes! wonderful! thanks for sharing his beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stone facing on the house is very beautiful! I live on the edge of a morraine so I can appreciate how important they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the stonemason's work fabulous - definitely mosaic style. We have a row of homes along the lake that were apparently the work of a local stonemason 50 years ago or so and homes and stone fences in front are really nice.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes that is quite a mosaic of stone work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some beautiful stonework.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stonework is stunning and the way you made the mosaic is too! Lovely post. Fine craftsmanship all around! And my husband TAUGHT in a one room school. So we are even older. (Granted it was one of the last of its kind.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.