Monday, December 19, 2016

A Light Favorite

With all the delicious pies, cookies and desserts of the season, this one always seems like a lighter alternative which I haven't made in several years.

There are several recipes out there. My version is from Betty Crocker with some variations from time to time.

 The recipe calls for 9x13 pan but I went with layers this year to serve on two occasions. Here are photos of the process. The recipe is at the bottom.

I prefer a fork with larger tines to provide 
a larger reservoir for the jello.

 The jello is prepared with less water than normal.
 

This is the first time I used whipped cream. 
Now that I know it doesn't hold up as well as Dream Whip
 that won't happen again.

 Garnished with cherries for Christmas red.
 

Hmm, maybe we'll start with dessert

Ingredients

1
box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
1
box (4-serving size) Jell-O™ raspberry-flavored gelatin
1
cup boiling water
1/2
cup cold water
1
container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups)
Fresh raspberries, if desired

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).

  • Make and bake cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
  • Pierce cooled cake all over with fork. In small bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until smooth; stir in cold water. Pour over cake. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping; garnish with raspberries. Store covered in refrigerator.


Joining
Ruby Tuesday
Pictorial Tuesday
Countdown to Christmas


6 comments:

  1. My wife makes a delicious version of this using angel food cake, strawberries, and strawberry jello, with Cool-Whip. It was her dad's favorite dessert and it is very high on my list as well. Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is it Christmas beautiful but it sounds delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this each Christmas for many years and the kids look forward to my red and green cake. I do layers and then when cut is so pretty, but I like your idea of separating them...would be a lighter dessert that way. I plan to make it again this year and have my things purchased. yum...now you've made me wanting. haha

    Thanks for visiting and linking. So enjoyed to see others make this cake too.

    Peabea@Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. what a delicious creation. So appealing to the eyes and tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.