Monday, October 5, 2015

Mosaic Monday 100515 Trees n Bushes 100615

Our Flowering Dogwood
wearing her Autumn colors.
 
 
 
A close-up of her gown.

 Her ensemble includes
 Lots of 'Bling' (berries) to catch a bird's eye
 
Flowering Dogwoods are one of our most common understory trees.
Understory means that it grows beneath taller trees.
This small tree grows about 30 feet tall. Its trunk usually isn't more than eight inches wide. The trunk is also short, with many spreading branches.
Flowering Dogwood leaves grow up to five inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide.
They are green with short stalks. Underneath they are pale green.
Flowering Dogwood leaves turn bright red in the Fall.
 
The yard at each of our homes over the years has included Flowering Dogwoods.
The RG transplants them from the local woods
where they grow in abundance.
This one is around forty years old.
 
Linking with Judith at:

7 comments:

  1. Oh she's beautiful...very little foliage has changed where I am yet so I am enjoying her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, this is a tree that I would like to check in to for my neck of the woods!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my the foliage is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted a pagoda dogwood on the south side of our home and although the structure is similar to yours, my berries are black - which the birds love.
    For the shape and four season interest, the pagoda dogwood is one of my favourite trees and they too grow wild as understory trees.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.