Thursday, February 25, 2016

A Photo a Day Challenge: Bridges 022516

A 2006 study determined that Pittsburgh has 446 bridges, and with its proximity to three major rivers and countless hills and ravines, Pittsburgh is known as "The City of Bridges".
 
This is Roberto Clemente Bridge viewed from PNC Park.
(on a rainy day)
It is closed to vehicular traffic on Pirates' and Steelers' game days, providing a pedestrian route to PNC Park home of the Pirates baseball team, and Heinz Field home of the Steelers football team.


 
This bridge spans the Slippery Rock Creek
flowing down a gorge formed during the ice age.

 Pondering: Does a bridge cease to be a bridge when it is closed?


More bridges to view at:

2 comments:

  1. I don't know where I have been...I did not know this about Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Thank you for joining the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.