Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Look, It's the Brooklyn Bridge

But wait. We're in Pennsylvania

Saxonburg to be exact. 
A small western PA town founded by John Roebling.

Roebling Park is the location of the 1840 workshop of John A. Roebling, 
where he experimented with his ideas for a wire rope. 

Roebling successfully patented his new wire cable which found extensive use in suspension bridges. 

The climax of his bridge-building career was, of course, the still standing Brooklyn Bridge across the East River between New York City (Manhattan) and Brooklyn. 

A replica of the Brooklyn Bridge is on permanent display at the park.




I would have included a full photo of the workshop to the right;
but there was extensive landscaping work underway.

7 comments:

  1. Gayle, what a wonderful find. It's amazing the interesting things that can be found in our own backyards. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more Pennsylvania treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to have a bit of history on display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I would love to see in person! I have never walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, but I have spent a lot of time around it on the Manhattan side. What a lovely find for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! This is what is so great about sharing in link ups! I can visit places I've never come across before and learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I hope I never lose the thrill of learning. I recently read America's First Daughter whicih included portions about Jefferson's other plantation, Poplar Grove. Just today I ran across a blog about it with photos. Such fun to put the two together.

      Delete
  5. How very interesting! There's so much to see and learn out there...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.