Saxonburg to be exact.
A small western PA town founded by John Roebling.
Roebling Park is the location of the 1840 workshop of John A. Roebling,
where he experimented with his ideas for a wire rope.
Roebling successfully patented his new wire cable which found extensive use in suspension bridges.
The climax of his bridge-building career was, of course, the still standing Brooklyn Bridge across the East River between New York City (Manhattan) and Brooklyn.
A replica of the Brooklyn Bridge is on permanent display at the park.
I would have included a full photo of the workshop to the right;
but there was extensive landscaping work underway.
Gayle, what a wonderful find. It's amazing the interesting things that can be found in our own backyards. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more Pennsylvania treasures.
ReplyDeleteAlways nice to have a bit of history on display.
ReplyDeleteThis is something I would love to see in person! I have never walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, but I have spent a lot of time around it on the Manhattan side. What a lovely find for you!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! This is what is so great about sharing in link ups! I can visit places I've never come across before and learn something new!
ReplyDeleteI agree. I hope I never lose the thrill of learning. I recently read America's First Daughter whicih included portions about Jefferson's other plantation, Poplar Grove. Just today I ran across a blog about it with photos. Such fun to put the two together.
DeleteHow very interesting! There's so much to see and learn out there...
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting find!
ReplyDelete