Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Solitary

Spied this lone Cedar Waxwing at dusk.

A beautiful 'masked bandit'.

Who to my delight, sat still for long time.
Bombycilla cedrorum
With thin, lisping cries, flocks of Cedar Waxwings descend on berry-laden trees and hedges, to flutter among the branches as they feast. These birds are sociable at all seasons, and it is rare to see just one waxwing. Occasionally a line of waxwings perched on a branch will pass a berry back and forth, from bill to bill, until one of them swallows it. This species has a more southerly range than the Bohemian Waxwing, and is a familiar visitor to most parts of this continent south of the Arctic.



7 comments:

  1. Hello, Gayle! I love the pretty Waxwings. They are always a treat to see! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gayle!:) I also love these birds, who could resist their beauty. Such lovely birds to see. I didn't know about the passing of berries, this seems so friendly!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he sure does have a perfect mask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute Cedar Waxwing, loving it's expression.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Waxwings and their silky looking feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waxwings are one of my favourite birds. I look froward to them arriving in the Winter here in the UK. (If we're lucky)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.