Preston Park was the home and workplace of Frank Preston, an English-American engineer, ecologist and conservationist who helped found the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.
Preston was a leading expert in glass technology. Among his accomplishments was the development of a lens polishing machine for George Eastman, the founder of Eastman Kodak. He invented a glass-melting furnace that allowed Corning Glass to create Corelle glassware.
The Residence/Laboratory
The second story has a three-room apartment
built for a resident caretaker.
In 1947, the Prestons moved into the apartment
for the remainder of their lives.
In the distance you can see the roof of a small building.
This was referred to as
Jane's Cabin or 'the hacienda'.
Summer evenings were spent here
since the residence didn't have A/C.
Apparently she was a progressive
and had her own 'she shed' years before they
became the popular item of today. :)
Offices
Treasures
from the past
Machine Shop
The Pump House
and another view of the machine shop
This post has been a little longer than normal for me
but I was so taken by this hidden treasure
in our proverbial backyard
that I just had to share it.
I'll be sharing more of the grounds and fences
as the week goes by.
Joining
Great hidden treasures. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteGayle, what a historic treasure the Preston Laboratory is. I find it interesting that Mr. Preston had an impact on Kodak and Corning, two local companies here. Thanks for the tour and please come back soon.
ReplyDeleteI love history and love to learn. I sure get some great info from the blogs I follow. Enjoy this bit of info about Kodak and Corning. Thanks for sharing. I am fairly new to Tom's Treasures and I'm, loving it.
ReplyDeleteThat was a fascinating tour Gayle, thank you!
ReplyDeletewhat a great place, thanks for the tour!
ReplyDelete