Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Gift

By Friday I was lamenting my lack of
a new butterfly/moth this week.
When I arrived at the office I noticed
yet another leaf stuck on the side of the building.
But wait, that's not a leaf.
As I took a closer look, I knew I had been handed a gift.
 I have never seen a moth this big
 
 
 Tucked it in a box to show my co-workers
 Then released it to fly again.
SATURNIIDAE
Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus)
spotted in western PA.


Click here for more things that flutter by.

and here for Nature Notes
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. ....not only huge, it is incredibly BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good looking moth and thanks for participating in Weekend Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - amazing. I've seen some that are similar but the blue dots are different. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a wonderful gift it was! Oh, they are just glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous moth. I love the blue color on his wings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful moth and images! Great sighting! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I'm glad you didn't ignore him--he's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know people who raise these guys because they are so beautiful... wonderful and yes a gift indeed.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.