Monday, March 28, 2016

Never Thought to Ask 032916

This frame, with its pressed botanical art,
sat on a shelf at my grandmother's 
for as long as I can remember. 
I never thought to ask her who made it; 
she or someone else? 
It is definitely something I could see her doing. 
So I will treasure it for a little longer.

It survived the move from her home to my parents
and came to me from my Mother.
I'm embarrassed to say I came across it 
in a plastic tub just this week-end.
I will do better.

Pressed flower craft consists of drying flower petals and leaves in a flower press to flatten and exclude light and moisture. Pressing flowers makes them appear flat, and often there is a change in color, ranging from faded colors to a greater intensity of vibrant colors. It has long been practiced as an art form in Japan, where it is known as Oshibana (押し花), and in China. Outside of Asia, the art gained popularity in England during the Victorian era and has experienced a revival in the last 30 years or so. It is currently used in the United States by some recognized artists including Cellestine Hannemann and Janie Gross, and in Australia.

Find a treasure trove at:

9 comments:

  1. That must have been a common picture frame and matting...my mom had two of them. In one she had a pic of me as a baby and in the other a pic of my nephew as a baby. He was a month older than me. Yes, you read that right. I was the baby of 8 and his mom was the oldest of 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, I remember pressing flowers at summer camp when I was a boy. Thanks for sharing your treasures this week and please come back soon. Oh and by the way, I hope that you are enjoy your vacation in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when you said 'I'll do better.' This happens to all of us. They are beautiful and remind me of some treasures of my own that are probably in a plastic tub somewhere. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i love that! i hate that i can't pick up the phone anymore to ask my mom important questions like this and others things that pop into my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So delicate! Definitely one to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember finding pressed flowers in books, that my mother and her sisters had done. I think we all tried it as kids.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure. I remember pressed flower pictures at my grandmother's in the 1960s. I don't know what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.