Thursday, August 13, 2015

Color Guard

Zinnias in formation guarding the vegetable garden
 
Zinnias are popular garden flowers because they come in a wide range of flower colors and shapes, and they can withstand hot summer temperatures, and are easy to grow from seeds.
They are grown in fertile, humus-rich, and well-drained soil, in an area with full sun.
They will reseed themselves each year.
 
Zinnia peruviana was introduced to Europe in the early 1700s.
Around 1790 Z. elegans (Zinnia violacea) was introduced and those plants had a single row of ray florets which were violet. In 1829, scarlet flowering plants were available under the name 'Coccinea'. Double flowering types were available in 1858, coming from India,
and they were in a range of colors including shades of
reds, rose, purple, orange, buff, and rose stripped

 
Linking with Nick at:

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I love the beautiful zinnias. Reminds me of my father. His love for gardening [both flowers and fruit trees/veggies] He always had MANY zinnias lining the driveways. The colors...gorgeous. And I like their fragrance. And as Ms. T's comment....the title, clever play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the other day that it has been years since I have grown any zinnias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, colorful border!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, one of my favorites - but they don't grow well here because of the cool weather - they get mildew. Some can grow them if they have an especially sunny and warm yard. Love your guardians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like zinnias, but they seem not be "fashionable" any more, Gayle. We always let them go to seed and they come back year after year in our garden.
    Many thanks for taking part in the Floral Fridays Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my ventures in photos. I look forward to every comment and especially discovering your Blogs with their wonderful photos, conversation and words of wisdom and encouragement.
Each of you are a blessing to my day.